Saturday, August 16, 2008




Well, we made it to Baraga in one piece. I'm sitting here in the dark with Kai sleeping in his roll-a-way bed. David and Tess are downstairs swimming in the hotel pool and Lydia is hiding out in the bathroom reading a book. Well, it's the only place where she can leave the light on and she refused to go down to the lobby. Poor kid can't go swimming in her present condition. What a bummer and bad timing for her.

So we took a pretty leisurely drive getting up here, I like being able to stop wherever and whenever we want. We walked on a couple of trails and saw two waterfalls. The first one was Wagner Falls, you can see it in the picture. On the way back to the trailhead, Kai ran a little bit ahead of me and Lydia and he got out of my sight. I didn't think too much of it and when we got to the parking lot I figured he would be right there. He wasn't! David and Tess followed soon after and we started calling him. I figured he was hiding behind this big boulder he had found interesting when we first got there. No sign of him anywhere, David started yelling K's name in his extra loud daddy voice and still no Kaiser. I was really beginning to panic and then Tess said, "oh, he's here in the car!" and there he was, completely clueless. David had unlocked the car as we got closer to the lot and Kaiser just got right in to wait for us. As soon as I got into the car I burst into tears, I can't even describe the fear I felt in those few seconds when I didn't know where he was. I had even imagined him being in one of the two cars that had driven away right as I had walked up to the parking lot. Needless to say, the no running ahead rule is being strictly enforced once again. I was so angry at myself for letting him get that far ahead of me and not taking his safety into concern. So stupid!
Never again, I can assure you.

Laughing Whitefish Falls was gorgeous. David took all the pictures, he can be a camera hog and since he's more technically proficient than I am, I just let him take over.







2 comments:

randomsugarwords said...

Beautiful shots !! I am sorry you had such a scare. That happened to me once when Robby was about that age, I actually thought I would faint.

Leslie said...

OMG my heart just stopped thinking about Kai! I think we all have had some instance where we felt that fleeting hardcore fear!
Great photos! Have a great time!